A major role of NYTHA is to act as liaison between the industry and various government entities. NYTHA, through its legislative, efforts has:
- Increased purse shares from betting on-track.
- Increased purse shares from betting at OTB's and inter-track wagers.
- Increased purse shares from betting on out-of-state races.
- Guaranteed purse shares from betting on all revenues from simulcasting, in-state, out-of-state and out of country races.
- Earmarked the first $2 million of NYRA profit for purses.
- Eliminated sales taxes on horse sales and claims.
- Eliminated use taxes on horses purchased out-of-state and those syndicated.
- Eliminated use taxes on training fees.
- Legalized the race day use of Lasix.
- Enabled NYTHA to be a dues paying member/supporter of the NTRA.
- Increased NYRA shares of takeout distributions to assure solvency.
- Guaranteed purse support for NY-Bred Showcase Day.
- Provided horsemen with a voice in the use of capital improvement projects.
- Prevented the importation of simulcasts without compensation to purses.